Friday, March 04, 2005

A Driving We Will Go

Driving in Taipei is like pushing your way past fat people all in line for free donuts. No offense to fat people, but just imagine that! I have been driving in Taipei basically since I got here, like early November when we bought a scooter, and while technically it hasn't been legal, I have been doing it anyways. Now I have decided to become legal and get my license. I went last Friday to the place about 45 minutes away since Taiwan doesn't know a thing about placing things near the middle of the city(actually it's not even in Taipei, but right outside it). So I get there and proceed with taking stupid health test, which is: height and weight test(why does this matter when it comes to driving?) next was the color blindness and vision test and lastly was the dumbest test. First you had to show the guy you can open and close your hands 3 times really fast, next you had to squat down and up once...and that's it. Cost me 100NT($3US) to do that...I just think they want any money they can get. Next I was off to the written part of the test. Not sure why they give this test anyways since people in Taiwan don't follow the rules anyways! But I came prepared, one the of the websites I like to visit alot is Forumosa.
They gave me a site where you can practice your skills and I mastered that, so when I took the real test I was happy that is was word for word with the test on the website! And yes the test was given in English.
Next was the driving part, sounds easy, but it isn't. First off you have to drive through 2 lines about 2 feet wide the distance of about 50 feet and must take longer then 7 seconds to complete it. I failed. Twice. So I had to wait a week to re-take the test. That's where I am today. If Yun can get off of work early enough we are gonna go..this time I'll know what to expect and practice some before hand. Wish me luck!
Here is my ride in case your wondering, it's the one in the middle.


Update: I went to take the test again and totally failed! Grrr...I hate that test it is my new arch-rival, Superman has Lex Luther, I have the scooter road test! We shall see who is the victor!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Is it a good idea to have the plates redily visible on the net? lol

I didn't reas the whole thing since I'm rockin this monitor, but when I get a new one I'll peep this blog every now and then.